Widow gives all she has
Felisol sent me the email version of the Tidbit box last week of June, but I didn't get to read it until two weeks later. By then, I was about to leave for a ten day ministry trip to Davao City, and Cathy advised me that I may begin doing my tidbit posts when I return home.
When it comes to tidbit sharing, there are a thousand and one such precious morsels on my heart.
When it comes to tidbit sharing, there are a thousand and one such precious morsels on my heart.
So here I am, dear sisters, with my first of two tidbits.
This may be a little bit more than one tiny bite size piece of my life, but anyway I share it with you wholeheartedly.
When Less is More.
I grew up in a home where love was abundant. My parents were both government employees, and we lived in the city. For the first 11 years of my life, we lived in a duplex -- twin houses that were joined in the middle by one wall. It was owned by my maternal grandfather, and my mother's brother and his family lived next to us. Very happy memorable years of close bonding with my four cousins.
When I was 12 years old, we moved to a brand new house, our very own. It was in another city, with rolling hills and wide open spaces, compared to the noisy and congested neighborhood where the duplex bungalow was located.
I remember the excitement of having a huge and beautiful home to finally call our own. My dad had hired an architect to draw up the plan, and it was built in about four months or so.
When I was 12 years old, we moved to a brand new house, our very own. It was in another city, with rolling hills and wide open spaces, compared to the noisy and congested neighborhood where the duplex bungalow was located.
I remember the excitement of having a huge and beautiful home to finally call our own. My dad had hired an architect to draw up the plan, and it was built in about four months or so.
The beauty of this home was in its simple elegance. My parents had bought many brand new furniture, but we had also taken with us most of our old things. With his innate creativity, artistic flair, and touch of class, my dad was able to blend the old with the new. The house soon became a warm home, and the garden around it tended by my father also blossomed through the years.
I know now that we were not among the very rich in Philippine society. But as young girls, my sister and I didn't know that. I found out only much later that the school my sister and I attended was a very expensive exclusive school for girls in Manila. My classmates were children of ambassadors, and top politicians in our country. I never thought we were any different from them.
What was the secret? It was the joy of contentment. Papa and Mama made us feel that we always had more than enough, and there was no lack. We didn't have an abundance of things, like toys, dresses, and things around the house. But everything we had was what we needed, and maybe just a little bit more.
Mama bought us only three new dresses a year - for our birthdays, for Easter, and for Christmas. Sometimes more, when there was extra. She also bought us brand new school books and beautiful things to use in the classroom. Therefore, school was something we were always excited about. I found out only later how Mama and Papa endeavored to save from their monthly salary to be able to give us the life we had.
Mama bought us only three new dresses a year - for our birthdays, for Easter, and for Christmas. Sometimes more, when there was extra. She also bought us brand new school books and beautiful things to use in the classroom. Therefore, school was something we were always excited about. I found out only later how Mama and Papa endeavored to save from their monthly salary to be able to give us the life we had.
To be honest, it was not a perfect childhood. But there was lots of love. And laughter. And song. That's what I remember the most.
Papa believed in beauty. Beauty that was not ornate or excessive, but simple, and elegant.
I have no doubt that for me, everything was beautiful because there was contentment.
Another secret was this: we were not over-indulged. Mama and Papa taught us the value of delayed gratification at an early age. If we wanted something, we knew that we could always save up for it, and eventually we could have it. There was joy in the waiting, joy in the eager expectation, and joy in finally receiving what we wanted.
Some financial principles our parents taught us:
Buy only what you need.
Spend less than what you earn.
Live a debt-free life.
Save for the rainy day.
Be generous to those in need.
Charles Ringma writes that
the Christian experience is not simply one of green pastures and flowing streams,
it is also the place of emptiness.
We live today in a world that tells us we need so much to be happy, but actually the opposite is true.
A lot of times, it is in experiencing emptiness that true joy comes. There is joy in having, but there is also joy in not having.
Because in the end, it is when our cups are empty, when we are not too full of ourselves, that God can fill our hearts to overflowing.
I end this day's post by a quote from Henri Nouwen, one of my favorite authors.
Less is more when there is contentment and joy.
Less is more when there is a willingness to let go.
As I look back at the legacy my parents left behind, I thank God for what they have taught us. May I, like them, pass these principles on to the generations after me.
As I look back at the legacy my parents left behind, I thank God for what they have taught us. May I, like them, pass these principles on to the generations after me.


7 comments:
oh! oh! oh!.....this is going to be so good crown of beauty!....i am at dad goldens now but when i get home, i will devour your tid bits or should we call it a large honey dipped doughnut, eh.....love you! love terry
We all know that our world today considers material things to be so important. Status symbols. Entitlement generation. It is a good thing when parents teach children to be content with such things as they have. (Hebrews 13:5)
I enjoyed your post.
"He sees our deeds, he knows our needs,"the song goes.
I embrace the quote from Nieuven:
"Because in the end, it is when our cups are empty, when we are not too full of ourselves, that God can fill our hearts to overflowing."
I think this doesn't only refer to material things, but even more to spiritual issues. I also cherish my parents' legacy. Summoned up in the Proverbs 30:7“Two things I ask of you, Lord;
do not refuse me before I die:
8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread."
The sayings of Agur are mighty, I was inspired to look them up when I read about your parents, Lidia.
"Where your treasure is, your heart will be." I am grateful for our inheritance, with the focus and goal set on Heaven. Thanks for writing in such spiritual way and thereby filling my cup to the brim.
I am so thankful for my Mama and Daddy. They sacrificed to give 8 children,the things we needed. Our home was immaculate...inside and out. Daddy, loved to work in the yard and had a small garden...growing up a Farmer it was in his blood. Mama, worked from the time she got up, everything we wore was ironed and we ate large home cooked meals, everyday I am so thankful for their faith in Jesus Christ...they loved us and told us so often. They cared for our neighbors and were always there, when they needed a helping hand. Thank you Lidia....Such a beautiful post. We are blessed.
Your parents gave you a good foundation for life, Lidia. If one can be content the Lord will bless you with peace in all situations. Trust, contentment, hope, peace, are wellsprings of FAITH.
Beautiful post, sister...the joy of finding ourselves, like Paul....content in whatsoever state we may find ourselves....in Christ....possible.
dear crown of beauty...this computer is finally behaving itself and now i can tell you how i enjoyed your post...i think that you had such a great childhood..family! there is nothing better than this,eh?.......the goldens had a great up bringing too...we never knew that we were poor...we didn't have a whole lot of toys but mom golden was always sewing doll clothes for the dolls that we had and she would make out of a friut basket frilly little beds to lay those dlls in...at easter she would make home made fuddge and put it into egg cartons that she had made into easter baskets...but i must say that the ricehst thing we had is when mom golden started to take us to sunday school when betty was just turning eithgt.
your papa sounds like such a good man ...is he the one that called you "beautful light"?..and your mama was a gem!
you are so right that at the time our cup is empty that the cup will never break and in fact the lord jesus will fill it up util our cup is flowing over!....love you so much our sister from the philipines...love terry
Post a Comment